Design firm for industrial design
Bluelarix Designworks is an industrial design firm in Amsterdam with a strong team of experienced designers and product developers.
We have been in business for over 10 years and worked on many projects in different sectors. Dozens of sports products, medical devices, high quality consumer products and tools for professionals are designed by us, won awards and are successfully deployed worldwide.
Innovation with positive effectsWe strongly believe that product design should contribute to a positive change in people's lives. We want to use product design for good.
Sometimes such a positive change is rather small, yet also important, like helping people to exercise more with the Philips ActiveLink.
Sometimes a change can be large, like helping people to fight illness with a product that helps them to inject medicine themselves. We help companies to take courageous steps that lead to such innovations.
Facilities and toolsTools are of course just tools. They do not create the design quality, but having some good tools does help to keep quality up and work more efficient. Apart from a great team of talented industrial designers and product engineers, we also offer the following tools, networks and facilities:
- modern design studio, with dedicated spaces for sketching, ideation and 3d cad engineering.
- large workshop for interaction, prototyping and testing.
- Alias Design for class A surface modelling, SolidWorks for 3D CAD product engineering.
- 3D printer for creation of fast mockups, apart from the quick foam based handmade models that we create.
- large network of national and international prototyping manufacturers that create for us high quality parts from rubbers and plastics till aerospace grade aluminum or magnesium and medical titanium parts.
What we stand forIn our industrial design process we continuously keep people in mind. Like in the case of an wheelloader machinist that can keep better concentration due to a better design of the interior of the machine.
We design, create mockups and prototypes, run user research and test interaction and ergonomics on real users, creating a long-lasting meaning for people.
- We care about people
- Beauty and meaning is a perfect combination
- Excellence in creativity
- All we do is teamwork
Name and identity
Our design firm is named after a blue tree, the larch. Because the larch is alive, immortal and courageous. The larch dislocates time-scales, puts human memory to shame, reminds one of the unforgettable.
The plans for starting the design firm were made in 2006 in Norway where founders Andreas and Maria were invited by a group of Norwegian entrepreneurs in the Nordfjord aera to create a design firm for industrial design. These plans did not become a reality in Norway, but in the Netherlands.
- Right at the start the design firm for industrial design was founded in a small town in the north of the Netherlands.
- In 2008 we added knowledge in the fields of electronics development and embedded software, apart from concept design, engineering and human factors.
- In 2010 we moved the design firm to a new facility called the Kauwgomballenfabriek, a refurbised factory in Amsterdam.
- In 2011 a dedicated lab space was added to our design firm for electronics design, interaction design and prototyping.
- In the beginning of 2013 we moved the design firm into a bigger space in the creative hotspot "De Overkant" an old diesel engine factory in Amsterdam Noord.
- In the beginning of 2014 we added more space to the design firm, as the growing team and bigger projects did not fit anymore.
- In 2015 we added new people to the team and we won two 'best sports products' awards on the ISPO.
- In 2016 we added new people to the team and added a large workshop, right next to our design firm.
Hospital ship Africa MercyWe love the work Mercy Ships does.
Mercy Ship's hospital ship Africa Mercy provides free lifesaving surgeries for people where medical care is nearly non-existent. It’s the world’s largest civilian hospital ship providing state-of-the-art care to those in desperate need—free of charge.
Many people in Africa have little or no access to healthcare. There are only 2.5 physicians per 10,000 people in Africa, compared to 33.3 physicians per 10,000 in Europe. So the Africa Mercy brings volunteer medical teams and sterile operating rooms directly to people who would otherwise go without care.
We love the way they volunteer to make a positive change. Therefore we support Mercy Ships.